Steve O’Dwyer's biography
Steve O’Dwyer is famous American poker player who is well-known for his success both in live tournaments and online. Steve began his poker career after watching the World Series of Poker Main Event 2003 broadcast on ESPN channel, where Chris Moneymaker became the winner.
O’Dwyer started to play in the low-cost games for 5$ but soon decided to play a bit more serious. Later he found out that there is possibility to get good bonuses for the deposit if to devote a lot of time for the game. He began to grind online hard for different deposit bonuses and even took the 3rd place in a large Sunday tournament at Bodog.
Soon hard work started to gain traction and O’Dwyer showed serious results.
In 2009 he played his first final table at WSOP in the tournament World Championship Heads-Up for 10 000$ and took the 8th place and earned more than 90 000$. At the same year he finished at the 6th place at WPT in the tournament Doyle Brunson Five Diamond World Poker Classic Main Event for 15 000$, his winning was over 200 000$ and in 2011 he came closer to the winning of EPT title and took the 2nd place at EPT London for 5 000£. He lost to German player Benny Spindler and got 465 000£.
O’Dwyer got his first million winning in 2013 when he became the champion of Main Event EPT Monte Carlo. Since then he four times got seven-figured winnings. The end of 2015, all 2016 and 2017 years were quite successful for Steve. He was named as “High-roller’s danger” and took the lead in the rating of the most successful tournament professionals until Fedor Holtz got ahead of him on a wave of upstreak.
Steve’s success continues, he is still participating both in live tournaments and online ones. He states that over the past few years his game hasn’t changed and he doesn’t use any new strategy. Steve believes that it's all about his confidence and that dispersion is on his side.
In September 2018 Steve became a champion in online tournament Powerfest #122-SHR: $3M Gtd [Championship Event] at Partypoker. For this victory he got 896 610$ - the biggest prize of Irish player in online.
In 2019 O’Dwyer can often be found in the high-roller tournaments including online.
Interesting facts about Steve O’Dwyer:
- The player was born in Colorado Springs (USA). His father served in the USA armed force that’s why his family had to travel a lot all over the world because of his father’s relocation to different military bases.
- He studied at the University of East Carolina in Greenville in the faculty of “communication”. He was also fond of television and radio broadcasting and even tried to realize himself as a DJ. His first job before poker passion was at the radio station.
- In 2007 he took part in his first live tournament WPT PokerStars Carribbean Adventure and he got in money there.
- Vivek Rajkumar was a friend of Steve and he also was his backer. Vivek gave Steve opportunity to play at the high limits that he couldn’t afford for himself at that time.
- Black Friday impacted on Steve not in the best way. He had to return to Las-Vegas, sleep on the floor at home of his friend Scott Seiver and borrow money for food.
- O’Dwyer was a beta-tester and said that in February 2004 he saw an advertisement saying that a new poker online-site Full Tilt Poker was looking for beta-testers. For every thousand hands there was an opportunity to participate in the freerolls, where the prize pool was 5 000$. He won 7,5$ and lost it in the first hand in cash.
- In 2017 the player participated in series PSC Macau with mango as a talisman. That year he won more than 1 000 000$ in a super highroller tournament. After that, some players started calling O’Dwyer “Mango” among themselves.