Dan Harrington’s biography
Dan Harrington is a legendary professional player who has 2 WSOP bracelets, WPT title and a lot cashes in the prestigious events. It is not surprising that he became a member of Poker Hall of Fame.
Harrington was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Since childhood he loved competition and games. Dan played chess professionally and in 1971 he won chess championship in Massachusetts and later in New Jersey. Backgammon was also his passion. When he got acquainted with this game he learnt it so quickly and in 1981 he won the World Cup in Washington and became a backgammon World Champion. However his backgammon career lasted until the organizer of a regular championship refused to pay 27 000$ of prize money. That situation had profoundly influenced on Harrington and he decided to give up the backgammon.
His competitive spirit didn’t quiet down and soon Dan proceeded to poker. According to the results of his previous obsessions it is not surprising that he made a significant success in poker. In 1995 the player demonstrated an excellent mastery in two tournaments of WSOP series and got 2 bracelets with a difference of 3 days. Dan earned 1 000 000$ for the victory in one of such tournaments. Another seven-figure amount Harrington got in 2007 at Championship Event Legends of Poker in NLH tournament for 9 700$. At that day he enriched with 1 635 365$.
The player has quite a long list of victories and floats into the prizes. This is proved by the amount of his winnings in live events, which is more than 6.6 million dollars.
However Harrington is known in the poker world not only for his victories, but also for educational literature that was created by him. All his successes and achievements were appreciated, and in 2010 Dan was included into the Poker Hall of Fame.
- Dan Harrington studied at Suffolk University to become a lawyer. After getting a diploma he worked as a lawyer.
- Harrington played in a legendary "Mayfair Club" with such professionals as Howard Lederer and Eric Seidel.
- According to some data there is information that Harrington played poker against Bill Gates.
- "Action Dan" is a relative of professional golfer Padraig Harrington and former NFL quarterback Joe Harrington.
- At the university Dan was a member of MIT roulette team, who played roulette. He was also a member of the blackjack team.
- Dan Harrinton is the author of a number of poker books: “Harrington on Modern Tournament Poker”, “Harrington on Cash Games: How to Play No-Limit Hold'em Cash Games”, “Harrington on Hold'em: Volume III: The Workbook”, “Harrington on Hold'em: Volume II: The Endgame”.